Monday, November 21, 2005

Monday of Titanic Proportion

OK, maybe the title of this is a bit of an exaggeration, but Mondays sometimes deserve a bit of drama. I saw the movie Titanic when it first came out in the theatres (forever ago), and then I didn't watch it again until last week, on a "let's stay in and watch a TV movie" date. Then I saw it again last night. It's been like a recurring train wreck lately. It's like there's some Titanic Channel. All Titanic, all the time...there's no escape. Perhaps it was my negative comment in previous post about Celine Dion (and how her music makes me want to stab myself in the eyes with a spork). Karma...

Besides syndication rights, I realize now why I never voluntarily watched it again until recently. At first, I tried to convince myself that it was mainly because the "heroine", Rose, wouldn't move the HELL over to let Jack on the friggin' debris-turned-raft after the ship went down. That never left me. I just don't get it. I never will. I mean, there was plenty of room on that piece of driftwood. The producer even gave us, as viewers, an aerial shot of Rose lying there, all sprawled out in her selfish glory, seemingly uncomfortable in the cold air, all while Jack held on for dear life in that freezing water. I've always contended that their body heat would've probably helped them both survive, but what do I know? I'm not a body-heat-in-freezing-water expert or anything. And, I know the entire plot would've been changed if she wasn't so selfish. It still irks me.

I know better now, though. The real reason I never watched again is that I hate endings like that. It wasn't so much the selfishness as the absolute unfairness of it all. People eat up that unrequited love stuff. The whole It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all thing. I shake my head and do my best to agree with that sentiment, but I'll always prefer a happy ending.

My roommate has a wife beater that says, simply, "Bitter". It really is a great shirt. And, always a conversation starter to boot. I've often thought, in the past couple of years, that I, too, have become a bit bitter. Jaded in a way...stepped on by life's experiences and exhausted at times from the dating maze. Watching that train wreck of a sappy movie for the second and third time made me see things from a different perspective. Maybe I'm NOT a bitter hag. There's hope for me yet.

I still think that spoiled hag should've moved over, though. Total waste.