Tuesday, December 16, 2008

God help me. I'm stuck in the Illinois suburbs.

I'm stuck in a hotel room in Chicago. OK, it's not really like cool, downtown Chicago, but rather a northern suburb with a snazzy new Springhill Suites by Marriott that happens to have both a Wal-Mart and a Chili's across the street. Oh yes. I'm living large.

I've been here since Sunday, and I was supposed to be home by now, but there's one hell of a storm outside. It's snowing and icy and crazy cold. It took me an hour to go two miles back to my hotel tonight, and it was during that time that I realized that returning home to Indiana was futile.

So, here I am. Sitting here with I Am Legend on in the background. I hate that part where he has to kill his dog. It makes me want to go beat the crap out of some rabid people. Speaking of dogs, this is how bored and completely shut off from the world I am. I just watched this video - yet another in the Oscar the Boxer series. And now I miss more than just my husband and his ability to make my icy feet warm in mere seconds while also pretending to enjoy my endless conversation, but I miss my dogs a ton, too. I've also vowed to start my own video library of my canine children, as they're WAY more interesting and adorable than even Oscar is. Sorry, Oscar. You're damn cute and I love your videos, but my youngest Dane can drink out of the kitchen sink without even standing on his hind legs. And, my girl Tess has a bigger vocabulary than most of my college students.



Well, if I'm stuck here for more than one more day, at least I can go hang out at the Wal-Mart. They sell vodka there, right?